Five Months, Five Things

Avery hit five months a few days ago and we’ve been having plenty of adventures together. As we’ve officially landed in her infant era, I had a few key takeaways. 

  1. Sleep is rare, but smiles are not. She’s a happy girl and excited to be around new people, but still isn’t sleeping through the night. We’ll get there eventually. You’ll be surprised how competent you can be on despite interrupted sleep. 
  2. Trust your senses. I wasn’t sure if I’d develop that sixth sense, but now I feel comfortable diagnosing what she wants or needs without looking at an app or keeping a schedule. I know my baby. 
  3. Ask for help. Most moments are joyful, but everyone needs a break. I’m no longer shy about asking for help and providing clear instructions so I can rest and recharge. When I take care of myself, I can take better care of her. 
  4. Rinse and repeat. I like routines, but babies need routines. We stick to a schedule, especially at initial wake-up and final bedtime, as those daily transitions are important to get right. 
  5. Enjoy it while it lasts. I wasn’t sure if I’d really enjoy parental leave, hanging out with a baby on my own most days, but I’m glad to report that I don’t regret it one bit. I’ve really enjoyed my parental leave and would gladly do it again if we ever have another child. 
With one month left before returning to work, we have a few more trips. We’re going to have a bunch of fun. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Christmas

Time to Stand Up